Monday, January 26, 2009

Grateful...

Grateful for so many things today...

Like the return of winter and an afternoon off to enjoy it with the dogs!

The trails were in great shape today with more fluffy snow falling as we ran. I love the new drag mat system my hubby installed on the sled while it was too warm to use it! No more getting slowed down by fluffy snow building up! The dogs seemed to enjoy that too!

I am grateful that Reggae decided to cooperate today, that the wound on his head is healing and that's he's got some trail sense, on top of his command responses. The warm weather last week played havoc with the ice on the lake. There are some slushy, watery spots. There's probably three feet of solid ice underneath those spots, but they still aren't fun to run through. Just the appearance of open water is a bit scary and wet paws are never fun when it's -20C. I thought Reggae was just goofing around and setting his own trail on the lake, but it turned out that every time he weaved he was taking us around a slushy spot, often before I even noticed it! Good Reggae!

I'm glad we made it home with no major difficulties, especially since no one else was home this afternoon to assist if there had been a disaster!

I am also eternally grateful to whoever plowed the "road" section of the trail. (I actually know who it was, but I'm not sure they want their names in cyber-space!) There is a "Y" in the trail..one section goes to the TransCanada Trail, the tracked ski trail, Wolf Creek ect. The other direction goes to the lake and is the trail I use almost every day. Every year some idiot decides to take his 4x4 down that section, usually getting stuck and always ruining the trail for everyone else. It makes it dangerous for dog teams, hard to walk on, no fun to skidoo on and impossible to skijor or ski on! This year, the snow has been piled in such a way that it's almost impossible to get a vehicle down there! It was a big bump on the sled and would probably be a lot of fun on a snowmachine, but I think the trail wrecking morons will have to go elsewhere this year. Wooo hooo!!

6 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My fluffy tail is soooo jealous!

That looks like such fun AND Mom says it is beaWOOtiful!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

dogsled_stacie said...

Hey! Do you have a pic of that drag mat? I'm going to put one on my little sled but would love suggestions!

The run looks like it was great fun! Reggae rocks to go around the slushy parts.

Teddy Westlife said...

Go Reggae go! He's a clever boy. Great pictures as usual :)

Huffle and her mum

Wandering Spirit Kennels said...

Hey Stacie, I don't have a pic of it, but I'll take one and email it to you.

D.K. Wall said...

Great pictures and kudos to the snow pile keeping the trail safe for dog teams.

Unknown said...

Hello,we're from Spain,and we practise mushing here.Greetings for you and your dogs.