Wednesday, October 15, 2008

That's my boy!

I don't understand how the most relaxed dog in the pack can possibly have anxiety issues, but it certainly seems that Earle does! He is the most laid back dog I have. I have often said that my life would be much more simple and my vet bills much lower if all my dogs were like Earle. He's sweet; he's gentle; he likes kids; he likes adults; he likes other dogs; he doesn't eat cats; he doesn't try to escape; unlike 99% of huskies, he comes when he's called! He's easy! He's my special boy and apparently he's neurotic! So neurotic that even the t-shirt isn't enough to control his obsessive licking. So neurotic he actually needs meds to control his anxiety!

But a week ago, his vet, the lovely Dr. Candace, put him on anti-anxiety medication and almost immediately I had my sweet, special boy back!

I was warned that he would be very lethargic for the first ten days or so. I haven't seen any sign of that. He is pretty lazy to most of the time anyway---a sled dog Earle never was, well, not a good one anyway!! He had a great time on our hike a few days ago. The White Pass tracks are fun!

7 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We are so happy for Earle and for you!

He's too handsome a fella not to feel good!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Phred said...

Happie Pills make ya feel GOOD!

Keep on *enjoyin life* Earle - it's way too short not to be able to enjoy every day!

Joe Stains said...

how wonderful! we hope it continues to be a help to him!

Jack & Moo said...

That's more like it - a happy husky!

woos & a-roos,
Star & Jack a-roo too

Rune said...

Hi TamaraLyn,

He's looking in good form, I hope he's cured.

Rune

laura k said...

Hi there, I found your blog through Dogsled Stacie. I'm *loving* your photos!

Down here in southern Ontario, we have a dog that could be Pacer's and (Stacie's) Rupert's cousin. One white prey-driven, squirrel-obsessed, Husky/Shepherd cross.

All ours have been rescues, too.

Thanks for your great blog!

laura k said...

Also, I'm glad to hear your special boy's doing well on his meds. We had a very special boy who needed medication, too. You and Earle are lucky to have each other.